Janice Morse reports:
In a second appeal filed today, Ryan Widmer’s new lawyer argues that authorities made five significant mistakes in his case – and four of the claimed errors involve Jeff Braley, a former Hamilton Township police detective lieutenant who resigned amid controversy over alleged misrepresentations of his credentials.
- Photos: Ryan Widmer speaks with The Enquirer
- Photos: Ryan Widmer convicted of murder
- Read Widmer’s appeal
Attorney Michele Berry filed the second appeal with the Ohio 12th District Court of Appeals, the court that heard arguments last month in Widmer’s first appeal.
It is expected to take the court several more weeks to rule on Berry’s arguments, which focused on alleged illegal seizure of the bathtub where authorities say Sarah Widmer, 24, was drowned in 2008.
Widmer, 31, was convicted after his case went to trial three times. He is serving 15 years to life in prison.
The Enquirer will update this story.
- Widmer hearing focuses on bathtub
- Three-judge panel reviewing Widmer conviction
- Widmer lawyer vows fight after fourth trial denied
- Widmer lawyers: Bathtub seized improperly
- Ryan Widmer: “I’ll never give up”
- Ryan Widmer found guilty of murder