Jennifer Baker reports:
A gas leak inside a trailer accidentally caused the fire and possible explosion at a Mason mobile home park early today, fire officials said.
The leak came from a hose that ran through a wall in the trailer and could have hooked up to a gas-powered appliance, said Deputy Fire Chief Craig Bryant.
No appliance, however, was found hooked up to the hose, he said.
“We don’t know if the valve was open or closed,” he said. “We were not able to determine that.”
A man and a woman suffered serious burns and their dog died when flames broke out just after 3 a.m. at Mason Estates mobile home park, 1010 Reading Rd.
A juvenile in one of the adjacent properties also was taken to Children’s Hospital in Liberty Township for medical evaluation.
Their names, ages and conditions were not released.
It was not clear who supplied gas to the park or that specific trailer. Duke Energy does not, utility spokeswoman Sally Thelen said.
Bryant said he did not know.
When crews arrived early today, they found one trailer fully engulfed, catching two adjacent mobile homes on fire. Two people inside the trailer that may have exploded had made it out on their own. Their dog, however, died.
They were taken to Bethesda North Hospital.
Their trailer is a total loss. The other two suffered heavy damage, Bryant said.
In all seven people – three families – are displaced.
A clerk at a nearby gas station said one of the trailers exploded and caught the other ones on fire. One trailer is destroyed and two others are heavily damaged.
Posted in: News |